Medical Assistant w/ Phlebotomy
Spring Hill, Florida (Brooksville location)
This job description does not constitute an offer of employment or employment contract.
Individuals responding to job postings are considered to be applicants for a particular position only after they have been invited to complete the company's official printed employment application form. Florida Cancer Specialists is an equal opportunity employer.
Position Summary: Assist physicians with medical procedures in office.
Responsible for phlebotomy, laboratory testing, quality control, instrument troubleshooting, equipment maintenance and all other duties of Medical Assistant. At level II the Medical Assistant will be responsible for accessing Groshong and Mediports after being certified by a RN. Medical Assistant II will need to be recertified annually for this higher position.
Medical Assistant Required Qualifications:
At least one year of experience as a medical assistant in a clinic or physician’s office with the ability to perform venipunctures required. High school diploma or GED is required. Valid Florida driver’s license is needed for travel to the clinics.
Key Performance Areas:
1. Responsible for performing proper quality control procedures before proceeding with patient testing.
2. Perform laboratory blood work.
a. Perform blood draws
b. Follow laboratory procedures for specimen handling and processing.
c. Perform technical laboratory procedures in a timely manner with accuracy
and precision, meeting the standards of all accrediting/regulatory
3. Prepare blood or bone marrow slides for evaluation.
4. Send outside labs to appropriate facility as dictated by patient’s insurance plan.
5. Maintain test report logs, quality control logs, equipment records, and checklists according to all regulatory agencies.
6. Will follow the FCS patient I.D. policy and procedure with every patient encounter.
7. Obtain vital signs, height, and weight of patient as requested by physician and document in the Onco/EMR system.
8. Place patient in exam room and prepare for physician in a timely manner.
9. Receive lab reports via the telephone, lab system, or fax and document in the patient’s chart or Onco/EMR for physician’s review.
10.Assist physicians with medical procedures: bone marrows, fine needle aspirate, paracentesis, and pelvic exams.
11.Schedule outside testing, referrals to other physicians and hospital admissions as ordered by physicians, if applicable
12.Documentation: Thorough documentation in medical record chart of testing/treatment rendered to patients. Prepares encounter form to charge patient for services received in office or initials all steps in process in EMR for electronic superbill. Documents all QC and QA corrective action.
13.Show physician critical blood counts according to guidelines.
14.Administer “Sub-Q” injections to patients after complete symptom assessment. Refer all patient problems, complaints, and symptoms to nurses.
15.Obtain all pertinent scan and CDs and prepare for physician’s review.
16.Maintain adequate inventory of supplies. Place orders with purchasing as needed.
17.Initiate troubleshooting procedures when instrument malfunction occurs and contact central lab or instrument service company, if necessary.
18.Perform EKG testing where applicable.
19.Perform therapeutic phlebotomy
20.Using all proper and sterile technique, will access patient’s ports to draw blood.
21.Perform any and all duties required to keep laboratory in compliance with state and federal regulatory agencies. Must be able to perform compliance testing.
22.Must take the required number of CEUs annually to meet C.O.L.A. requirements
23.Observe established safety guidelines and maintains cleanliness of the laboratory and equipment.
- Comply with all Federal and State laws and regulations pertaining to patient care, patients’ rights, safety, billing, and collections. Adhere to all FCS and departmental policies and procedures, including IT policies and procedures and Disaster Recovery Plan.
- Maintain and ensure the confidentiality of all patient information at all times.
- Assist in training new employees to related job duties.
- Will be expected to work at any FCS location to help meet FCS business needs.
- Will be expected to work overtime when given sufficient notice of required overtime.
Expectation for all Employees:
Support the organization’s mission, vision and values by exhibiting the following behaviors: excellence and competence, collaboration, innovation, respect, personalization, commitment to our community, accountability and ownership.
This job description in no way states or implies that the listed duties are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instruction and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor or other management personnel. Other duties may be assigned to meet business needs. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Essential Physical Requirements:
· Ability to travel independently throughout the facility to access information from other departments.
· Ability to stand for long periods of time.
· Ability to lift, bend, stoop, reach, and grasp with hands.
· Ability to operate a personal computer, lab equipment, telephone, and other office equipment.
· Ability to operate an automobile for travel to other offices.
· Ability to lift and assist patients on and off exam table.
· Ability to perform venipunctures and prepare slides.
Essential Mental Requirements:
· Ability to work under stress, with interruptions and deadlines.
· Ability to process verbal information and input this information into computer system.
· Ability to follow complex instructions.
· Ability to master basic math skills.
· Ability to think logically in following procedures and instructions.
· Ability to think logically and make decisions.
· Ability to utilize the FCS information system.
Essential Technical/Motor Skills:
· Ability to enter and retrieve data from computer.
· Ability to operate modern office business machinery.
· Ability to operate phone system.
· Ability to use microscope.
· Ability to operate a motor vehicle for travel to other offices.
Essential Sensory Requirements:
· Ability to converse in calm and friendly manner.
· Ability to view data on the FCS information system and in various written formats.
· Ability to communicate on the phone.
· Fluency in the English language for the ability to effectively communicate and interact with coworkers, hospital staff, patients, public, physicians, and their staff.
· When problems arise, the Clinical Lab Manager will write and deliver any necessary employee counseling.