Medical Assistant w/Phlebotomy
Position Summary: Assists physicians with medical procedures in office.
Responsible for phlebotomy, laboratory testing, quality control, instrument troubleshooting, and maintenance.
Required Qualifications: At least one year of experience as medical assistant in a clinic or physician’s office with the ability to perform venipunctures. Must have valid Florida driver’s license and vehicle for travel to satellite offices. High school diploma or GED.
Key Performance Areas:
1. Responsible for performing proper quality control procedures before proceeding with patient testing.
2. Draw blood for lab work. Prepare slides for evaluation.
3. Maintain test report logs, quality control logs, equipment records, and checklists according to all regulatory agencies.
- Schedule outside testing, referrals to other physicians and hospital admissions as ordered by physicians, if applicable.
5. Follow laboratory procedures for specimen handling and processing. Send outside labs to appropriate facility as dictated by patient’s insurance plan.
6. Obtain vital signs, height, and weight of patient as requested by physician and document in the patient’s chart or EMR.
7. Place patient in exam room and prepare for physician in a timely manner.
8. Receive lab reports via the telephone, lab system, or FAX and document in the patient’s chart or EMR for physician’s review.
9. Perform technical laboratory procedures in a timely manner with accuracy and precision, meeting the standards of all accrediting/regulatory agencies.
10.Assist physicians with medical procedures: bone marrows, fine needle aspirate, paracentesis, and pelvic exams.
11.Documentation: Thorough documentation in medical chart or EMR of testing/treatment rendered to patients. Prepares encounter form to charge patient for services received in office or initials each step in the process for electronic superbill.
12.Show physician critical blood counts according to guidelines.
13.Administer injections to patients after complete symptom assessment. Refer all patient problems, complaints, and symptoms to nurses.
14.Obtain all pertinent scans and prepare for Physician’s review.
15.Receive additional training as determined by trainer.
16.Maintain adequate inventory of supplies. Place orders with Purchasing as needed.
17.Initiate troubleshooting procedures when instrument malfunction occurs and contact Annex Lab or instrument service company if necessary.
18.Perform EKG testing where applicable.
19.Perform therapeutic phlebotomy.
20.Perform any and all duties required to keep laboratory in compliance with state and federal regulatory agencies. Must be able to perform compliance testing.
21.Must take the required number of CEUs annually to meet C.O.L.A. requirements
22.Observe established safety guidelines and maintains cleanliness of the laboratory and equipment.
- Comply with all Federal and State laws and regulations pertaining to patient care, patient’s rights, safety, billing, and collections. Adhere to all FCS and departmental policies and procedures, including IT policies and procedures and Disaster Recovery Plan
- Maintain and ensure the confidentiality of all patient information at all times.
- Assist in training new employees to related job duties.
- Will be expected to work at any FCS location to help meet FCS business needs.
- Will be expected to work overtime when given sufficient notice of required overtime.
Essential Physical Requirements:
· Ability to travel independently throughout the facility to access information from other departments.
· Ability to stand for long periods of time.
· Ability to lift, bend, stoop, reach, and grasp with hands.
· Ability to operate a personal computer, lab equipment, telephone, and other office equipment.
· Ability to operate an automobile for travel to other offices.
· Ability to lift and assist patients on and off exam table.
· Ability to perform venipunctures and prepare slides.
Essential Mental Requirements:
· Ability to work under stress, with interruptions and deadlines.
· Ability to process verbal information and input this information into computer system.
· Ability to follow complex instructions.
· Ability to master basic math skills.
· Ability to think logically in following procedures and instructions.
· Ability to think logically and make decisions.
· Ability to utilize the FCS information system.
Essential Technical/Motor Skills:
· Ability to enter and retrieve data from computer.
· Ability to operate modern office business machinery.
· Ability to operate phone system.
· Ability to use microscope.
· Ability to operate a motor vehicle for travel to other offices.
Essential Sensory Requirements:
· Ability to converse in calm and friendly manner.
· Ability to view data on the FCS information system and in various written formats.
· Ability to communicate on the phone.
· Fluency in the English language for the ability to effectively communicate and interact with coworkers, hospital staff, patients, public, physicians, and their staff.